In this post, we round up the latest cool and useful (oh, and free!) WordPress plugins now available on the WordPress Plugin Directory. This month’s WordPress Plugin Roundup includes everything from a way to add responsive video embeds to a new email optin plugin for your WordPress website or blog.
1. Classic Editor The First of (Probably) Many Gutenberg Replacements
The Classic Editor plugin restores the previous Edit Post screen and makes it possible to use the WordPress plugins that extend it, add old-style meta boxes or otherwise depend on the previous editor.
- This plugin allows you to turn off the Gutenberg WordPress editor entirely or use the classic editor on only certain pages or posts.
- Uses Add New (Classic) and Edit (Classic) in a mixed use scenario.
- Checkbox to turn off Gutenberg is under Settings > Writing.
2. Login or Logout Menu Item
With the Login or Logout Menu Item plugin, you can easily add a dynamic login/logout menu item to any menu on your WordPress site. The menu item will change based on whether the current user is logged in or logged out.
- Creates a new area in Appearance > Menus that allows you to add a log in, log out or log in/log out menu item.
- The latter is dynamic based on whether the current used is logged in or out.
- Very simple but useful addition to a site with users who log in.
3. Tabify Edit Screen
With the Tabify Edit Screen plugin, you can make your post edit screen easier to navigate and manage by creating a set of tabs.
- It may take a moment to see how this plugin works, but once you do, it offers some splendid customization options for the page and post editor screens.
- Move metaboxes to tabs within the settings screen.
- Works for custom post types.
- Control who can see tabs based on role.
4. Floating Video
The Floating Video plugin allows you to embed an ogg, mp4 file or YouTube or Vimeo video into your page. As the user of your website scrolls down the page to read the rest of your article and they can’t see the video anymore, the video will automatically move and stick to one of the corners of the window so they can watch the video and read the page at the same time.
- A nice touch for sites that have video and text content.
- Options allow you to specify floating video size and placement.
- Video must be displayed via the plugin’s shortcode which has a TinyMCE icon.
- Only the first video on a page can have the floating functionality.
5. 404 Solution
The 404 Solution plugin logs 404s and allows them to be redirected to pages that exist. Redirects can also be created based on the best possible match for the URL the visitor was most likely trying to reach.
- Feels a lot like the venerable Redirection plugin but focused on 404s.
- Can automatically match a 404 request with the most likely page URL.
- Monitors 404s and allows you to specify redirects.
- Allows you to specify a particular page to display for unhandled 404 errors (which can let you customize a cool 404 page).
6. Popup Email Optin Creator – Optin Hound
The Optin Hound plugin is here to help you grow your mailing list without you knowing any code at all. Optin Hound is a powerful tool for creating popup opt-in forms that you can customise to your needs and offer your visitors a simple, beautiful way of subscribing to your newsletter.
- Makes designing a decent looking popup opt-in pretty easy, even for beginners.
- Free version allows for static widget and a popup.
- Free version collects opt-ins on your website which you can later download as a CSV.
- Pro version (starting at $49/yr for 1 site) adds more options for how and when the opt-in displays and connects directly to email services like MailChimp and Aweber.
7. Super Blog Pack: Like, Share, Review, Ratings All In One
The Super Blog Pack plugin offers the following features: Post like button, Post views counter, Post reviews system with 5 star rating system (paginated), Related posts, and more.
- Settings page allows you to specify which features are used on your site.
- A nice addition to any blog.
8. Install FitVids – Embed fluid width Videos
The Install Fitvids plugin allows you to add responsive video embeds on your blog.
- The ability to oEmbed videos from YouTube and other media by simply placing the URL on its own line in the content is a nice feature of WordPress.
- However, embedded videos are usually smaller than the content width and may not look fantastic as a result. And changing the width can be confusing for some.
9. WordPress Copy Content
The WordPress Copy Content plugin allows you to search and copy content from pages and posts.
- Very helpful if you need to quickly duplicate the content of a page or post.
- Also works with custom post types and Woocommerce products.
- Note: plugin only copies post content, not meta data (like product price, etc.).
10. Admin Menu in Frontend
The Admin Menu in Frontend plugin allows you to show administrator menu when viewing site. It is a simple solution to speed up your developing time.
- If you find yourself flipping back and forth from the front end to the back end while you’re building a site, this might be a good plugin for you to try out.
- Save time by showing the full admin menu on the front end of the website for immediate access to settings, etc.
- Note, you’ll need to click the “Show Admin Menu when Viewing Site” box on your profile to see this work.
11. Hello Hamilton This Month’s Hello Dolly Replacement
This is not just a plugin, it takes and it takes and it takes and we keep living anyway. We rise and we fall and we break and we make our mistakes. With the Hello Hamilton plugin, you will randomly see a lyric from Hamilton the musical in the upper right of your admin screen on every page.
- My name is Alexander Hamilton…
Watch the Webinar: WordPress Plugin Roundup
– November 2017
This post is based on the November 2017 Plugin Roundup webinar by Nathan Ingram. In this webinar, Nathan demonstrates how to use each of these plugins so you can get a better idea of how they work. Check out the entire series of monthly WordPress Plugin Roundup posts here & register for the next Plugin Roundup webinar here.
Powered by WPeMatico